Re: Automatic Wheelchair Turntable

"Kyler Laird" <Kyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:rpuv03-4ph.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> >I could also mount a roll cage of sorts in the compartment that could
have a
> >central point lift capable of lifting the chair so the user could spin it
> >around and drop it in the right orientation.
>
> I'm missing something.  The chair is capable of spinning adequately on its
> own, right?  A turntable or lift doesn't allow the chair to spin any
tighter,
> does it?  (I have a Quickie power wheelchair that easily spins "in
place.")

> The problem you're fighting is that when the chair is occupied it can't
spin
> in place because the occupant protrudes from the chair enough to strike
> obstacles.  Is that right?  So you just need something to spin it once the
> user has dismounted?

It's a scooter with a tiller in front.  It's turning radius isn't anywhere
near that of mid or rear wheel powerchair.  A powerchair would probably be
able to spin around, even in the tight area, but a scooter won't.  I've
tried to sell him on the powerchair but he REALLY likes the scooter a lot
more, at least for outside the house.  I don't want to revisit that battle.
I've finally gotten him out and around on the scooter and he's taken to it.
It took a long time for him to conclude that his arthritis was bad enough to
warrant electric mobility.

> Is there some other issue (like the need to fold a manual chair slightly)
> that requires lifting it?

As explained.

> Also, for backing up the ramp...is a winch ever used (for manual chairs)?
> Seems like it would be a trivial addition.

Got a Masterlock winch at Walmart just half an hour ago!  I was going to use
it to hoist the chairs and scooter in and out of the basement for
maintenance, but I'm going to look into what it would take to mount it in
the van.

Thanks for the input!

--
Bobby G.