Re: Automatic Wheelchair Turntable

"Burgerman" <burgerman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

> >I just got my Dad a wheelchair van with an electric ramp but we've hit a
> > snag.
>
> Does he drive it?
> There isnt room for me to turn either, but I go in backwards, transfer to
> the driving seat. And come out forwards.

Yes - that's one option.  But the whole idea of him driving up the ramp
backwards under any circumstances gives me the willies.  Driving it DOWN the
ramp backwards gives me the willies AND the heeby-jeebies.  :-)

> There's not enough room to turn the wheelchair around inside the van.
> > If he goes in forward, he has to come out backwards.
> >
> > I toyed with some automatic guidance systems to make sure the backup
> > procedure didn't run him off the ramp, but I don't think that's a wise
> > solution.
>
> Do it the other way around, come out forwards?

I believe it might be possible to do if I can figure out some way of
insuring he doesn't back himself off the ramp while entering.

<stuff snipped>

> Well I do this the other way around from a side door and its never been a
> problem.

Yeah - if I want to put a power ramp and a power door on the driver's side
too, it would be a question of entering through one side and exiting through
another but that's putting the price of this project into the stratosphere.
I've already run about $5K over budget.

I'm still mad at myself for not realizing that a swing-arm type scooter lift
would have solved this problem, as well as the problem of people parking so
close to the van that the ramp can't deploy or can't be boarded because it's
too close to an adjacent car.

I might end up putting a swing-arm lift on the non-power door side so that
there's always more than one form of assist.  It may be a better solution in
the long run because the turntable will involve removing $400 worth of chair
tie-downs bolted to the floor.  A swing arm lift would be a lot easier to
install, although I really don't like them for a number of reasons.

> My van

http://www.powerchair-review.fsnet.co.uk/ricon-powerchair-wheelchair-van-lif
ts.htm

Sweet!  We did not get a power transfer seat, and I now think that's a
serious oversight.  I hope they're not outrageously expensive.

--
Bobby G.