Re: Automatic Wheelchair Turntable

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:WMOdnQJygsnoNqHeRVn-pA@xxxxxxxxxx
> "Burgerman" <burgerman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>
>> >I just got my Dad a wheelchair van with an electric ramp but we've hit a
>> > snag.
>>
>> Does he drive it?
>> There isnt room for me to turn either, but I go in backwards, transfer to
>> the driving seat. And come out forwards.
>
> Yes - that's one option.  But the whole idea of him driving up the ramp
> backwards under any circumstances gives me the willies.  Driving it DOWN
> the
> ramp backwards gives me the willies AND the heeby-jeebies.  :-)
>
>> There's not enough room to turn the wheelchair around inside the van.
>> > If he goes in forward, he has to come out backwards.
>> >
>> > I toyed with some automatic guidance systems to make sure the backup
>> > procedure didn't run him off the ramp, but I don't think that's a wise
>> > solution.
>>
>> Do it the other way around, come out forwards?
>
> I believe it might be possible to do if I can figure out some way of
> insuring he doesn't back himself off the ramp while entering.

That one should be easy enough.  Add a 3" lip on each side of the ramp
(unless there already is one).  He won't back over that.  It might make him
more comfortable backing up the ramp if you were to add a bicycle mirror to
one armrest.  This could be angled down so that he can see how he's lining
up with the ramp as he moves.

> I'm still mad at myself for not realizing that a swing-arm type scooter
> lift
> would have solved this problem, as well as the problem of people parking
> so
> close to the van that the ramp can't deploy or can't be boarded because
> it's
> too close to an adjacent car.

There's a solution to people who do that.  Operate the ramp several times,
leaving a "reminder" on the roof of their car.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics