Re: Automatic Wheelchair Turntable

"Kyler Laird" <Kyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

> How 'bout just having a shaft sticking out of the floor that extends,
> engaging a coupler in the wheelchair, spins the chair and retracts?
> (The extension and retraction could even be manual.)  It would only
> need to handle the chair when it's empty and it wouldn't add any
> height.  It could even be left extended to secure the chair while in
> motion.

That's a pretty interesting idea and would solve two problems at once:
reversing the chair and securing it as well.  I am not sure how well it
would work in practice.  Interestingly enough, there's an "EZ Lock" solenoid
device that's suppose to lock the wheelchair down in transit.  It has an
interesting V-shaped entry point that's designed to dock easily with a
powerchair, even one that's slightly off the mark.  I'd be afraid that
moving the chair to the precise "lock in" point might turn out to be very
difficult for dad.

> (The mechanism could also be mounted in the chair and engage a
> coupling in the floor.)

I could also mount a roll cage of sorts in the compartment that could have a
central point lift capable of lifting the chair so the user could spin it
around and drop it in the right orientation.

Thanks for the input.  It reminded me to focus on spinning the chair -
something that might be accomplished with just a few parts.

--
Bobby G.