Re: Video Surveillance Software? (0/1)

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 21:59:29 -0400, Don Wiss
<donwiss@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 17:11:13 -0700, Dave <dju@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>* Direct draw capable display adapter
>
>How does one know if their display adapter has this feature? If you have an
>expensive PC would this then be a common feature?

If you have MS's direct-x installed (and if you use local
video capture you most likely do) you can load DXDIAG.EXE
and run a test on the display adapter. It should show that
the test has passed. I attached a small gif image to show
what it should look like.

I think the video display adapters that support video gaming
should already support direct draw. I have NVIDIA adapters
on both my computers and they both support dd. My laptop
doesn't have that type of display and the sw doesn't work on
it. I'm eventually going to remove that DD requirement but
it's not finished yet. Early on, I chose to use MS's VMR9
renderer (part of direct-x) in order to display the video
screens...which (to my surprise) became a requirement for
using DD, unfortunately.

>> I'm also using a very sensitive night camera
>>(DX-8263SL) with it.
>
>Are you shooting through a window? Or do you have this in some large
>weatherproof housing?

Yes, it's inside looking out my kitchen window. (Nice view
of the dusty alley?) I would like to put it outside and
improve the quality and sensitivity of the video but it's
not made for outdoor use, AFAIK. Maybe eventually I'll build
or buy a housing for the camera.