Video Surveillance Software?

I posted this on security alarms NG but haven't gotten any replies yet.
I thought it may be better suited for posting here.

I am in the process of trying out a Lorex system that uses software by
Strategic Vista. The system consists of a USB capture device and software,
that's it.  I can't seem to get some of the program features to work so I
was wondering if there might be a better software package out there.  Here's
link to the system:
http://lorexstore.strategicvista.com/product.aspx?id=764
BTW: The price listed is not what it sells for...I think I know why it' a
clearance item. (Radio Shack...35.00)
Thanks for any advice.   Joe