Re: X-10, IF, RF, Zigbee.. What to do?

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 17:31:26 GMT, #DavidB6061#@sbcglobal.net (DavidB) wrote
in message  <433ec670.66069203@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>I spend all my time researching home automation and never doing
>anything because there seems to be a new technology around every
>corner. This week a friend starts frothing at the mouth over something
>called "Control 4" which can use either Wi-Fi or Cat 5. How do I
>decide when to stop looking and start buying without risking
>everything going obsolete in a year or two?

There are good choices out there already depending on you budget. Consider
reviewing the software and human interfaces that you and other users will
find acceptable. Then look for hardware that meets those requirements, your
budget, and reliability requirements.

The control4 web site says this about availability of software/'serviceware'
for their proprietary hardware:

"4Sight Services are currently available for Control4 dealer evaluation.
4Sight annual subscriptions will be available for consumer purchase in the
4th quarter of 2005."

"Annual subscriptions"?  This would seem to be completely unacceptable for
everyone except, perhaps, homebuilders and renters. So in my opinion, it
matters not at all how good/interesting their hardware is or isn't.

Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org