Re: Automatic Wheelchair Turntable

At first I hadn't noticed that this is a scooter rather than a wheelchair.
The first thing you should do IMO is find a way to ensure that the chair
cannot be shifted into reverse unless it is in the lowest speed mode.  A
sensor on the tiller could also kill the power if the tiller is moved too
far L or R at a speed that could result in tipping during a tight turn.

You could rig visible strips on the ramp to warn of proximity to the edges
as you mentioned.  You may wish to consider rigging a reflective strip and a
pair of photoelectric beams on the back of the scooter.  A loud alarm and/or
application of a brake could be triggered if the chair crosses the line in
reverse.

By limiting automatic braking and/or motor kill functions to low speed,
reverse motion you can avoid the possibility of a false trigger messing him
up while traversing a puddle or some other reflective surface while
traveling along the sidewalk or crossing the road.

If you would like to experiment with a photo beam for this sort of project
I'd be happy to provide one at cost.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass