Re: 500 Watt X10Appl Module Handle 500 Watt Halogen Lamp OK?

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 18:10:51 GMT, "news.eastlink.ca" <test@xxxxxxxx> wrote
in message  <LYT1f.6304$y_1.5547@edtnps89>:

>Sorry if this is common knowledge or in a FAQ somewhere, I couldn't find it
>for sure.
>
>I've got some 500 Watt halogen work lights.  I'd like to set them up in my
>back yard for an
>ice rink for the kids this winter.  I'd like to be able to control them
with
>X10 Appliance modules.
>
>Would it be safe to use appliance module rated at 500 watts?  Or should I
be
>looking for
>something higher capacity? if it is available.
>
>Appreciate any feedback.
>Thanks
>Dave

Cold weather will generally work against you with mechanical, relay-based
switches such an appliance module and for you with TRIAC (semiconductor)
based modules.

The Safe Operating Area (SOA -- "safe" in this context refers to longevity
of the semiconductor) of the TRIAC used is based on an assumed ambient
temperature 40+ degrees F higher than your operating temperature. I would
not be overly concerned about using a RIAC-based module at its rated wattage
in below freezing weather.

(I went to Ido Bartana 's site at
http://www.geocities.com/ido_bartana/toc.htm to see what the maximum rated
capacity and specific devices used in TRIAC-based modules and found that the
documented, gratuitous, self-serving, flagrant plagiarism at
http://www.geocities.com/ido_bartana/aquarium.htm has still not been removed
after 5 years. I left the site in disgust without answering my question.
Some folks have no scruples.)

Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org