Re: Driveway Alert Sensors

Mick wrote:

> Found it.  It is made by Banner engneering and is called a M-Gage.  THey
> have intoduced a new version that fits in the width of a saw cut, so
> this may be acceptable.  Just grout over it once installed.
>
> http://www.bannerengineering.com/products/photoelectrics/mgage.php
>
> There are some pdf's on the site as well
>
> Mick
>
> Mick wrote:
>> I know of one that is inserted under the driveway and detects changes in
>> the magnetic field.  You dont have to cut up the drive as it can be
>> inserte from the side through an L shapped bit of conduit.  Getting the
>> conduit in may mean a little digging on the side of the drive and using
>> some technique for digging the hole under the drive (but this is not
>> new).
>>
>> Once in it can be removed easily.
>>
>> I dont remember the brand, but it was for the automation industry (not
>> home automation) and was not very expensive.  A google search may reveal
>> something.  I need to find the notes I had for it and if I do I will
>> post them here.
>>
>> Mick
>>
>> keith bowers wrote:
>>
>>> I am looking for a sensor to give me some warning when someone comes
>>> down my
>>> driveway. The driveway is 1200' long, esentially straight; clear line of
>>> sight. I would like to place the sensor 300 to 9oo feet up the drive.
>>> Cutting up the driveway to bury a coil is not an option. I'm looking to
>>> keep under $150 US.
>>>
>>> This unit from Catch-a-Call looks interesting. Does anyone know anything
>>> about it?
>>> http://www.catchacallonline.com/reporter.html

Very interesting idea, but a bit too much strain in the budget for now (a
quick Google didn't find any US distributors; just Banner themselves).
The basic principal has all sorts of posibilities. I wonder if the Hitachi
compass module that Parallax is selling could be used to do the same thing.
--
Keith Bowers - Thomasville, NC