Re: x10 control from computer

John wrote:

> Why does one need a kernel modification to work with Powerlinc? Cant
> it be just an application library? I have no clue why people have to
> tinker
> with the kernel to make a powerlinc work on a machine. On windows
> there are applications that talk to this device.
>
> If the software comes as a kernel patch (like wishx), or is getting
> inside
> the kernel, more than likely it will not be maintained for the latest
> kernels
> and at some point the developer will give up on trying to follow the
> kernels that chage every day.
>
> I think we need to find something better to do this.
>
> Best,
> --j

If you want to get around having to compile x10 device drivers, consider
emailing the author at wsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx and ask him to try and get the
drivers included with the kernel. This would essentially mean plug and
play with the USB Powerlinc on Linux. No compiling anything. There's
apparently a rigorous process to follow in order to met the kernel's
standards, but he's willing to try if enough people show interest.

Chris