Re: x10 control from computer

John wrote:
> I am looking for a neat soultion to send and recieve x10 commands on my
> computer
> (windows machine but might move to linux at some point). I would like
> to code
> my home automation using X10 from python. I bought the usb powerlinc
> from
> smarthome which is almost useless (since i tried HCA/girder/Smarthome
> manager)
> but none allows me to code stuff in python (recieve and send commands).
>
> Does anyone know what is the easiest way to do this? What equipment
> should I buy?

On Windows you're pretty much screwed when it comes to developing your
own x10 software, especially with the Powerlinc. There are Python
libraries (PyXal, PyX10) for accessing some serial x10 controllers, but
they're mostly buggy and unmaintained. Your best, and really only
option, is to use the x10dev/wish drivers (http://wish.sourceforge.net/)
on Linux. This provides Linux device drivers for several popular x10
controllers including the Powerlinc, and allows nearly any programming
language to easily receive and send x10 commands by reading and writing
to a /dev/x10 file. I also just bought a USB Powerlinc and this is how I
too am planning to control it with Python.

Chris