Re: x10 control from computer

John wrote:

> Why does one need a kernel modification to work with Powerlinc? Cant
> it be just an application library? I have no clue why people have to
> tinker
> with the kernel to make a powerlinc work on a machine. On windows
> there are applications that talk to this device.
>
> If the software comes as a kernel patch (like wishx), or is getting
> inside
> the kernel, more than likely it will not be maintained for the latest
> kernels
> and at some point the developer will give up on trying to follow the
> kernels that chage every day.
>
> I think we need to find something better to do this.

I agree, kernel patches suck. However, read the site more closely.
Although the driver does compile against kernel headers, the new x10dev
driver doesn't use a kernel patch. In fact, I believe the source
includes a script to automatically generate an RPM for easy
installation. I doubt you'll find a better way to access x10 devices
from *any* programming language.

Chris