Re: Remote control

By and large the answer is no but the exact details depend on your location.

Worldwide, most TVs and other AV devices use Infrared (IR) for control
rather than RF.

In North America, X-10 uses 310MHz RF. Hardly anything else uses that
frequency. Even if they did the X-10 RF remotes can only send the X-10 RF
protocol.

In Europe (and many other regions) X-10 uses 433.92MHz for RF. Many (most?)
RF devices also use this frequency (mandated by CE regulations). But, again,
the X-10 RF remotes can only send the X-10 protocol.

X-10 does have multipurpose remotes which can send the X-10 RF codes and
also send IR codes to AV devices.

There are some (usually high end @ $US1000+) RF capable programmable remotes
(e.g. Philips Pronto) that can be used to control many other European RF
devices. It's merely a matter of determining the codes and protocols.

However, there are roundabout ways to have the X-10 remotes control other
devices by using a device (e.g. Ocelot) which can receive X-10 via the
powerline and then send IR codes to control other devices.

There is also the just released Nokia 770 which has WiFi. It (or any WiFi
capable PDA) can be used to send commands to something like the Global Cachè
GC-100 which can then send IR (or RF) codes.