Re: Need some sort of temporary drywall plug

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:51:11 -0500, Lewis Gardner
<lgardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > The tool consists of a tone generator and pickup (induction coil
>> with a tiny amp and speaker attached).  Turn the music on with no
>> speakers attached to the amp.  Walk around the remote rooms with the
>> pickup tool.  The tool can detect music in speaker wires several feet
>> away behind the drywall.  As you move the tool closer to the sound gets
>> louder.  You can find every speaker wire in the house this way in a
>> matter of minutes.
>
>Not if the speaker wires are shorted as they sometimes are if a sharp
>tool was not used to cut the wire. Shorted speaker wires can destroy an
>amplifier in short order.
>
>Connecting one lead from a tone generator to one speaker wire and a the
>other lead to a ground will create a much stronger and recognizable
>signal than music. If the signal is too strong disconnect the ground
>connection.
>
>Using the tone generator is much easier for you and safer for your amp.

11 years ago, when we built this new house, they wired all the
low-voltage wiring and dry-walled on the same day, while I was out of
town :-(

My original intent was to photograph each installation.

Though there was a drawing, I was reluctant to go arbitrarily punching
holes.

So I bought a Progressive Electronics Model 701K "Tone and Probe Kit".

Works like a champ for following speaker wires.  Also has a telephone
adapter.

                                        ...Jim Thompson