Re: Need help with PLC noise problems in a Manhattan (New York City) apartment

I have no idea what the 6285 actually does and was unable to find any
detailed description. SmartHome's and Leviton's descriptions imply that it
blocks signals from passing but the connection scheme doesn't appear to
support that. If it merely attenuates 120kHz there is no way it can
distinguish between your valid signals and external "noise" (i.e. a rose is
a rose is a rose).

http://www.leviton.com/pdfs/dhctechman.pdf

Insteon only uses RF to couple the two phases. That might cause problems in
your environment (especially since they use a fixed frequency) but if it
does not, it's other features would likely be highly beneficial in your
situation. It will ignore signals from devices which you have not "enrolled"
so external Insteon signals would not be a problem. It has good noise
immunity. It will not resend forever but only for a fixed number of tries.
The signal packet duration is brief. If you have time, read the Insteon
whitepaper on the Insteon site.

http://www.insteon.net

If you haven't already invested heavily in X-10 it would be an ideal time to
investigate Insteon. (more below)

You are misinterpreting the TesterLinc output. It does not measure the
amplitude (i.e. level) of a signal but merely counts cycles within an
unspecified window just after zero crossing (ZC). X-10 says the receive
window extends from ZC+250µS-ZC+900µS and that 48 cycles in that window
constitutes a logical Manchester 1. For transmitters they recommend the
120kHz burst begin as soon as possible after ZC but no later than ZC+100µS
and continue to ZC+1ms. That means there should be anywhere from 108-120
cycles in the 1ms following ZC with up to 78 cycles within the 650µS receive
window. SmartHome does not specify where the TesterLinc window starts/ends.
Nor do they specify the sensitivity (i.e. minimum amplitude). I don't think
there is anyway to correctly interpret its output without knowing those
details.

I would suggest you get a loaner ESM1 from Martin Custer at AutomatedOutlet.
It will tell you the amplitude of the signals and noise. While its bandwidth
is not quite as wide as older X-10 receivers it is much wider than that of
the TesterLinc.

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/product.php?productid=463&cat=0&page=1

I also suggest that you email or phone Martin and ask if you can return an
Insteon starter kit if it turns out that it will not work in your
environment. If Insteon can make it there...