Re: Emergency Water Turn-Off?

> I've had a massage showerhead in a clip holder
> blow off the wall in one case and go flying around the room soaking the
> place before I caught it.

Heh, I've seen exactly the same thing happen.  Like sumpthin' out of a
comedy skit.

> I guess that's the best solution.  But I worry about false alarms inducing
> air into the system.  It's never happened to me, but I'll bet you could
get
> an icemaker into trouble with too much cycling.

Not as much trouble as serious water damage.  I can replace an ice maker a
heckua lot easier than dealing with destroyed drywall, wiring, stud walls,
flooring, carpets....

> De/Repressurizing is a fairly serious event for a plumbing system.

Yes, as is water hammer.  Not something to ignore.  Pipes and various
plumbing fixtures are a LOT more sensitive to these problems that people
thing.  If during the course of normal use anyone's got banging pipes they
should get them looked at and SOON.

> We probably should crosspost this thread to alt.home.repair, as that's
where
> I found a wealth of useful plumbing data.  There ARE legitimate uses of
> crossposting.  It's just too bad we haven't been seeing them lately.  )-:

Got that right, sad to say.

-Bill Kearney