Re: Some upcoming CQC 1.4 teasers

"Dean Roddey" <droddey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > What do you have in the way of demos other than a trial version?  I saw
> > lot of tutorials (very nice) on your site, but is there an MPG or a
> > slideshow that really illustrates CQC?
> >

> The best way to do it is probably to just download and install the trial
> version and go through the tutorial. CQC doesn't change any system files
or
> install any files outside of it's own install directory and can be
> completely removed without any danger to your system.

That's a plus.  I'm not sure when I stopped downloading demos and trial
versions, but I've become really reluctant to download anything I'm not
certain I will use.  I've got a minor investment in an old version of
HomeSeer that does most of what I want HA to do.  From what I can see, most
of the early adopters/highly technically skilled are well ensconced in their
custom solutions and don't feel the need to be on the leading edge of HA
anymore.

> It comes with a device simualtor and the tutorial is based on that
> simulator, so you don't have to actually connect any devices in
> order to go through the tutorial. It'll take you through the major
> product features in a hands on sort of way in probably a couple
> hours (including all the download and installation and such.)
> There's no substitute for actually getting your hands on it.

I agree.  But first you have to dislodge HomeSeer and C-Max as my automation
programs of choice.  That means I have to see some value in my disrupting
the current patchwork of things I use.  That's why I asked about tutorials
and such, so I could ascertain the product's usefulness to me before
risking, however slight, that a new SW installation disturbs something.  No
offense intended to your programming skills but it doesn't, apparently, take
much to make many uninstall programs issue the message: "Some files could
not be removed, etc., etc."

> And look in the Galleries section for some real world customer
installations
> also. Here are some caps of various graphical interfaces, that demonstrate
> some of it's capabilities:

<snipped>

These were very interesting.  You've spent a lot of time on polishing the
little details, and it shows.   How difficult would it be to animate a floor
plan in CQC?  I'm talking about a tabbed floorplan, by story, that would
show things like spinning attic fans, [OK] symbols above appliances and
devices operating within defined parameters, temperatures within zones,
status of doors and windows, room lights, outside lights and such and could
alert me if a floodlight was on during the daytime.

I really liked the screen captured at:

http://www.charmedquark.com/www2/Downloads/MikesPreviews/MediaOverlay.jpg

--
Bobby G.