Re: Emergency Water Turn-Off?

FWIW, I saw a device on "Ask this Old House" that connected between the
washing machine (or dishwasher) and the supply.  To run the appliances, you
press a button on the box and it holds the supply line valves open for two
hours.

At least with this device, the only time the dishwasher or washing machine
can leak is the two hour span during which the unit keeps the supply valves
open.   I think it cost less that $100 and might be the ideal solution to
those who fear a ruptured feed hose or a defective dishwasher door.

As an aside, they have a "What Is It" section where they try to figure out
what weird looking devices do.  This week it was a little can with a
filtered top, a wireless aerial and a little seesaw inside.  I'm proud to
say it's one of the few interesting doodads I recognized right away:  An
Oregon Sci. self-tipping wireless rain gauge!

--
Bobby G.