Re: Emergency Water Turn-Off?

Yeah, I gotta agree, Robert.

But, I think it would be fun to play around with!

I once worked for an industrial automation company - that company sold
some major clients on some cool stuff that worked well (automated
tracking sides of beef from the kill floor to the freezer) - to stuff
that was an absolute multimillion dollar failure for the poor companies
that bought them (using a machine vision system to determine if a keg
of beer was leaking).

I dunno, I think if you could get a fairly accurate flow meter, combine
it with reliable indicators of whether or not people are in the rooms
that should use water, and combine that with a schedule... I think the
problem could be solved to a reasonable degree of accuracy.

Maybe that's part of the problem for the folks like watercop - it's
designed to be used on it's own; it doesn't have the benefit of getting
the data that a mid to upper class HA system can provide.

Oh well, I dunno either way. I do think I can safely say an acoustic
solution can be ruled out. I was thinking about that on the way home,
and given the number of different materials that can be used (copper,
pex, galvanized) for water supply, and the fact that their accoustic
properties _must_ change over their lifetime, and probably over the
seasons as well, just make it seem infeasible.

But if the OP gets something going, and wants a house to beta on - I'm
game.

I just think it would be great fun to putz around with.

Then again, I'm putting in an old 1A2 multiline telephone system in my
house next week..... with only one actual phone line - just so I have a
phone(s) with blinking and flashing lucite buttons.

Matt