Re: Emergency Water Turn-Off?

"AZ Woody" <Reply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> FedEx (and UPS) have a method to "file a signature" with them, so they'll
> leave the package if no one is home...

Where it could (and sometimes does) linger for a week unprotected from the
elements with me unaware that it's sitting there.

> Also, if I know I'm due a package,

That's the point here.  What happens when you don't know a package is
inbound?

> I'll leave a note at the door, and give instructions where to hide
> or deliver the box if no one is home.  It's worked for years with me.

Yes, but the problem I face is backorders with unknown ship dates and lack
of proper notification from the shipper.

> Worst case I ever had was when I'd gotten a "could not deliver" slip, and
> when I went to the "main desk" to pick it up, they couldn't, because it
was
> on a truck for "re-delivery".  You guessed it, when I got home there was
> another "we tried to deliver.." message, and it's timestamp was during the
> time I was at the "main desk".....  That's when I started leaving the
> note....

Yeah, I've played the "Chase the FedEx truck" game before, and it's what I
am hoping to avoid.  The overall concept is this:  To help, in any way
possible, all delivery people to make a successful delivery on the FIRST
visit.  That gets to be a pretty hairy goal if you are NOT aware that
there's an incoming package and you're often away from the house for days at
a time.  I'm hoping to set something up that can ring my cellphone and
perhaps even send a picture of the front porch when there's any probable
package activity at the door.

--
Bobby G.