Re: Home video surveillance

"Frank" <frank062547@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> Newbie alert ;o)
>
> We are in a rural area not visible to our neighbors and would like to
> use video surveillance to enhance security while we're away.  I've
> checked the www.x10.com website, and it looks like everything I want is
> right there, but I wonder about the wireless technology.  Is it really
> practical for home useage?

Yes, but the quality of the X-10 image might not be, especially in low
light.  I dumped most of my X-10 cameras in favor of wired, weatherproof
bulletcams with Sony ExView or HAD extremely low light cameras.  I also have
some IR cams that have their own built-in illuminators and switch from color
in the daytime to B&W at night.

If you're burglarized by someone using a stocking mask, X-10 images will
probably be useful only in confirming you've been robbed, and not who did
it.  I doubt very much if you'd be able to pull a license tag off any car
that drove up unless you really planned for it.

> My plan right now would be to use 4 exterior wireless cameras
> within a 50 foot radius of the computer.  The computer would be
> hidden to try to discourage burglars taking it with them as they
> leave.  The computer would have an 80Gb or greater hard
> drive, and as I understand it, the software would erase older files as
> it records new.  I'd put the computer on a UPS to try to keep it going
> through power outages.

I wouldn't count on hiding it well enough.

> Does this sound practical?

Make sure X-10's still offering a 30 day money back guarantee in case you
discover the resolution isn't good enough.

--
Bobby G.