360 degree video

Just happened to notice this.

I had seen it in a law enforcement newsletter maybe a month ago.

I know there has been some discussion on the matter.

========

"Rolling Camera Eyeballs Danger"
Wired News (04/29/05); Christopher, Abby

More than 20 law enforcement agencies are testing a device
known as the Eye Ball, a hardy baseball-sized spherical
camera that can be thrown into potentially dangerous areas
where, via wireless remote control, the device can provide
police or soldiers with a 360-degree view of the surrounding
area. The Eye Ball is envisioned as a useful tool in
situations where suspects are hiding inside a building,
hostages are being held, or explosives have been planted.
"The Eye Ball provides safety by providing law enforcement
and military personnel with higher degrees of visibility and
insight," says Asher Gendelman, with Remington Technologies,
which will manufacture the cameras. Officers can attach the
devices to ropes or poles in order to dangle them in
stairwells and other potentially dangerous areas, and the
devices can even be moved around on small wireless cars like
the kind that are commonly sold at electronics retail
stores. The device is especially useful in potentially
dangerous areas that policemen enter without knowing where
suspects are hiding, such as basements, parking garages,
attics, and crawl spaces, says San Diego police officer Ron
Cottingham. Assuming that the Eye Ball receives approval
from regulators, Remington intends to introduce the devices
later this year, at a price of about $1,500. The company
will target the device at government agencies such as the
Defense Department, federal and local police departments,
search-and-rescue teams, firefighters, and emergency medical
technicians. The Eye Ball has video and audio features that
can be saved to DVD or tape to be used as evidence; the
camera has a battery life of three hours, and can complete
four camera rotations in a minute.
http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,67329,00.html

======

Steve

Steve Uhrig, SWS Security, Maryland (USA)
Mfrs of electronic surveillance equip
mailto:Steve@xxxxxxxxxx  website http://www.swssec.com
tel +1+410-879-4035, fax +1+410-836-1190
"In God we trust, all others we monitor"
RIP Ken KE3I, SK 10/30/04. Rest easy, my good friend