Home video surveillance

Newbie alert ;o)

We are in a rural area not visible to our neighbors and would like to
use video surveillance to enhance security while we're away.  I've
checked the www.x10.com website, and it looks like everything I want is
right there, but I wonder about the wireless technology.  Is it really
practical for home useage?  My plan right now would be to use 4
exterior wireless cameras within a 50 foot radius of the computer.  The
computer would be hidden to try to discourage burglars taking it with
them as they leave.  The computer would have an 80Gb or greater hard
drive, and as I understand it, the software would erase older files as
it records new.  I'd put the computer on a UPS to try to keep it going
through power outages.

Does this sound practical?

thx