Re: HomeSeer Question

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:53:19 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Peard"
<NOSPAMpaul_peard@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote (with possible editing):

>"Barry" <barryminusspam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>I apologize if this is a stupid question.  Have been controlling x-10
>>lights with Homeseer for about 5 years with little difficulty.  Recently
>>had problems with some not responding reliably, some not at all.  Went
>>through the whole thing of trying to find a new noise source and so forth.
>>I have bridge/signal amplifier.  Really could not find a problem.  I know
>>the switches worked because I could plug a controller into certain outlets
>>and control them.  Anyway, I decided the switches (Switchlinc 1 way) were
>>older so I would replace them with Switchlinc 2-way switches.  The new
>>switches are all installed and actually work well.  I occasionally have a
>>problem. My question is that I can poll the switches manually in homeseer
>>and see their status but the software does not seem to automatically do
>>this after it sends a command.  I would think this would be automatic to
>>make it more reliable.  I mean give a command and then ask to see if it was
>>carried out. Then it could reissue or correct it if it was not.  I am only
>>using the basic interface.  I have not done any of my own programming,  I
>>really have little time.  So am I missing something.  Is there a way to
>>easily have the program do this and make the x-10 more reliable?  Does this
>>require special programming?  Am I completely missing the boat in how this
>>works?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Barry
>>

>Depends on the method you are using to turn them on in homeseer but how
>about something like
>
>Event fred
>    device action - turn on L1
>    script to run
>    hs.waitsecs 1
>    while notsure=1
>        'check
>        hs.execx10 "L1","status" ' you would have to check the homeseer help
>for execx10 to see the syntax
>        if hs.isoff("L1") then 'filled in by the status command
>            hs.execx10 "L1","on"
>        else ' status returned on
>             notsure=0
>

>PLEASE NOTE: Thinking aloud syntax - not real vbscript by the hs. things are
>real hs calls.
>
>I don't have any 2 way devices to try this against but I think the idea is
>sound.
>
>Paul

FWIW, I would add a counter so it does this maybe 10 times.  If after
the tenth time, it still doesn't return on or off (whatever the state
you desire) it sends a message that the switch or X-10 transmitting
device has failed.
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com