Re: Newbie Advice needed

In my new house I specified a neutral in every box to support the switches.
It's not a requirement by code and serves no purpose for a switched leg
using a dumb toggle switch.  Here's why you care and want the neutral:  Any
X10 based switch needs a path to neutral even when the switch is off so that
it can remain active and "hear" the X10 signal commanding it to turn on.
Without the neutral the signal path is completed through a trickle current
through the bulb's filament.  This works well most of the time but is not as
reliable as a wired path to neutral. Without the neutral the bulb's filament
can be a variable particularly as it ages and at low wattages.
 Do NOT use ground as a neutral - it is a clear code violation and can be
dangerous. Code requires that neutral and ground be common ONLY at the
service panel.