Re: New HA product development

Joel Kolstad wrote:

> "gwhite" <rank@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:42BA0C35.102355C9@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > Ah, well TRANSMITTING on the police bands is another issue.  That
> certainly is
> > > illegal (for your friend).
> > I believe true maydays are never illegal on any band.
>
> Yes, I meant "transmitting on the police bands in general."  Sorry for the
> confusion.
>
> > The point is that context itself can define criminality.
>
> In general I agree with you, but I think that modifying a radio to transmit on
> police bands -- and then using it to do so -- is a pretty cut and dry case of
> breaking the law. :-)

Outside of emergency, you're correct.

I thought I read that it was originally modified for the purpose of
RX'ing, not TX'ing.  Depending upon the radio topology, simply modifying
to RX on another band might "bring TX along with it," even though that
was not the prime intent.  That wouldn't satisfy the FCC's rules,
however, and they might confiscate if they know the radio exists.

> Although I would say that, if the modification were
> made on the spur of the moment (e.g., you're out in the middle of nowhere in a
> cabin that happens to have a ham radio, you break your leg, and if somehow you
> can't manage to bring up another ham :-), you instead modify the radio to
> transmit out of band), the violation would likely be overlooked.

Well yes, except I would say again that it may not even be a "violation"
because of mayday context.  Again, I dunno the details like a lawyer
specializing in these regulations would.