Re: 3 broken WS12As?

news:42b93857.80527243@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "random735" <random735@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >Also any idea how much amperage I need for a typical PC?
>
> There is no "typical" PC. It depends on the wattage of the power supply
> (they come in several sizes) and on the number of PCI (or ISA) slots used.

I've measured a lot of PC power supplies with my Kill-o-watt meter (another
toy you (Dave) wrote about and I subsequently bought!).  I'd doubt that many
PC's out there draw more than 5A and you usually don't plug the monitor into
the filter so you'd be concerned with just the system unit's draw.  I think
my fastest machine, a 2800 Athalon, 2GB RAM and with four drives active
simultaneously (RAID 1 + 0) while processing AVI's didn't draw more than
300W.  IIRC, it was 273W.  There are exotic PIC/ISA boards and USB devices
that could really run up that number, so it's obviously best to measure.

In any event, I've been protecting my X-tenuating PC's with the 5A ACT and
Leviton filters for a while now with no ill effects.  In fact, some of them
are filtering signal sucking UPSs as well as PCs and other small, problem
loads like switching power supplies.  The Kill-o-watt at least made me
comfortable in sizing the correct UPS and filter for the machine.  Slower
machines, like PIII's and K7s run in the 135-150 watt range, at least
according to the Kill-o-watt.

I hope I've factored enough overhead for inrush currents, which I assume the
Kill-o-watt may have trouble reading accurately because the surges are so
brief.

--
Bobby G