3 broken WS12As?

I ordered 3 WS12As (new, in packaging).  When they arrived my troubles
began...  I used two of them to replace smart-home appliance(relay)
decora switches which had been working fine those locations (but i
wanted dimming capability, hence the swap-out.  my loads are all
incadescent).

Wired them all up, local control works fine.  Turning them off remotely
once they are turned on works fine.  Now here's the tricky part:

If i turn one off, then hit another button on my palmpad, then try to
turn the original light back on, it is now unresponsive to any X10
commands i send, until i locally toggle the light.  In otherwords, the
switch responds fine if you "initialized it" by starting it on and
turning it off w/ X10, but as soon as another PLC signal goes out over
the line, it seems to become unresponsive to any X10 commands.  This
behavior is identical for all 3 switches, i've moved my transceiver
around, etc etc etc.....

Has anyone seen/heard of anything like this?  I hate to think I managed
to get 3 bum units.

Thanks.