Re: New HA product development

John Fields wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 12:20:43 -0700, "Richard Henry" <rphenry@xxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

[...]

> >The feds can be so picky.  I am aware of a local ham who altered his
> >portable to be able to listen to police bands.  While mountain-biking with
> >friends, one fellow got badly hurt.  He called for help on the Sheriff's
> >frequency, and the victim was saved.  A few days later, the FCC paid him a
> >visit and confiscated the device.

Lucky they didn't prosecute him, fine him and throw him in jail. He knew what he
was doing was illegal. Broadcasting on an emergency service frequency is just
plain stupid. Especially after 9/11.

He could at least have got himself deputized. It still wouldn't be legal, but he
might have a flimsy excuse that might have kept him out of trouble. The feds have
a job to do, and he knew what he did could get him in deep trouble. Or he should
have.

> Well, regardless of whether that action saved the guy's life or not,
> the ham hadn't just modified the receiver, which isn't illegal, he'd
> modified the transmitter, which was, and he knew it.

Most transceivers have highly integrated transmit/receive circuitry. The
synthesizers that generate the needed frequencies are controlled by the on-board
mpu. The same unit may be sold for different usage, so there must be some means
of restricting the frequency coverage.

Some sets have an internal jumper that bypass these frequency restriction. I
doubt this guy had the equipment needed to redesign a highly integrated portable
rig. Instead, he may have found instructions on the web on how to cut a jumper.

These days, it doesn't matter if your heart is in the right place. You gotta have
all the documents and papers signed and stamped.

[...]

> John Fields
> Professional Circuit Designer

Mike Monett