Re: Motorola home control

"Joe Bloggs" <somewhere@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>1) Is the IR and RF generally about the same data rate? Could you send a
>Sony or RC5 message via RF as well.

Yes. In fact, X-10 RF uses the NEC IR protocol. All of the RF extenders like
X-10's Powermids are sending IR codes as RF.

>2) I read about people referring to the X10 RF advanced security code. How
>is this different to the standard X10 RF codes. (I use AVR's to transmit X10
>RF codes)

I'm not sure what "advanced" codes are but the security codes just use a
slight variation on the protocol (but one that still meets the NEC
definition).

I describe both standard and security codes at...

     http://www.mbx-usa.com/rf.htm

>3) Have you had any experience with use the standard IR receivers I.e. Sharp
>UI60? (something like that) outside in the full sunlight.

No.