Re: Cell phone use with existing home wiring

"wkearney99" <wkearney99@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:itidnRfxpeOpuyHfRVn-1Q@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Err, no, that's just a handset for the phone.
>
> Something like a Dock-N-Talk is more what you're after but that only works
> with voice calls.
>
> The trouble is the encoding/decoding/re-encoding that's involved with going
> from a modem to a POTS line, into a docking adapter, over the cell networks
> and back out to an answering modem just can't be made to work reliably.
> It's far better to just have the devices not make the analog call to begin
> with and use a TCP connection instead.  Since most cell carriers have data
> service options, or most homes have some sort of broadband connection that's
> usually a better route.  For those still stuck with using modems there's
> really not much that can (or should) be done.  Even VoIP services can't
> reliably make it happen.  I own a DirecTivo and a know the pain of having to
> keep a landline for it.  C'est la vie.
>
> So look into using your internet connection for the home theatre instead.

Some DirecTV DVR users have reported success using the following
in the DVR Phone Dialing Options for use with Vonage service...

Dial Prefix: 12122773895    (long distance for some, but on Vonage who cares?)
Call Waiting Prefix: *99,,#019,,

These settings work with my DSR7000 but won't work with a DSR6000.
Both are Phillips DirecTV DVRs.