Re: Insteon Review

X-10 requires an address message (2 copies) and a command message (2
copies) to be sent totaling 44 cycles.  The soonest an x-10 module
will respond will be the first command message which is 33/60 of a
second (0.55 seconds).  The soonest INSTEON will respond is after the
first complete message which is 5 zero crossings or 5/120 of a second
(0.042 seconds).  0.2 seconds is actually a very conservative
estimate.  If the INSTEON device doesn't hear the message until it has
been relayed 3 times (the maximum number of 'hops'), it will respond
in 0.2 seconds.  To truly evaluate the response times of the system,
make sure the fade rate is set as fast as possible.  As a dimmer fades
up, the lamp is usually not visible until the level reaches 15 or 20
percent.  A slow dim rate would add a significant delay to the
perceived response.  Better yet, use appliance modules; you can hear
the click of the relays and instantly determine the response.