Re: Insteon Review

"RF Dude" <post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I programmed one key on the Insteon Tabletop controller to send both an
>Insteon command and an X10 command.  Why?  A larger room with table and wall
>lamps all controlled together.  Really neat!  Press the button to turn on
>the lights and the Insteon LightLinc is very quick (like you say, 0.2
>seconds) followed by the X10 wall switch/lamp shortly thereafter.

I had also made that same setup but I can see no difference in the time it
takes the lamps to turn on and off. That may be because the Insteon lamp is
on the opposite phase. I'll try later with both on the same phase.

>I opened up one of the units.  Quality looks an order of magnitude better
>than X10.

I'm sorry but there is no way to make that comparison by just looking at the
insides of the module. All of the SmartHome devices are of more recent
design than are the X-10 devices but the fact that they use SMD components
and look prettier doesn't necessarily translate into better. I bought a very
early PowerLinc - it had design flaws. I bought one of the first two-way
LampLinc modules - it had design flaws.

>So I have expectations for a Insteon version of the PowerLinc, and
>KeyPadLinc followed later by other useful modules.  When more gadgets are
>available, the power of Insteon will be much more useful.  Until the new
>products come, I agree that the differences aren't too exciting.

The SDK already includes a PowerLinc.

I'm impressed with the concept and, so far, with the execution but am still
leery because SmartHome has such a poor track record. I also do not have
problems with X-10 but do understand that others would probably prefer
something that is more reliable (in their view) and easier to install so I
hope that Insteon will succeed. The prices are attractive.