Re: Preventing Random X-10 Code interference...

> The receiver has no way to know whether it is seeing the first or second
or
> Nth copy. It can only look for 1110 followed by a valid code.

Did you ever get the screenprint I sent?  It showed a code fragment from a
deliberately induced set of collisions.  Two palmpads both set to B sending
"1" on and "3" on simultaneously produced a single command for the M
housecode.  I'd sure love to figure out why we get so many reports of
phantom codes.

Now that you've taught me how the signal is Manchester encoded, I am in
agreement that it's highly unlikely that phantoms codes are generated by
noisy appliances.  I do believe that there are powerline "events" that can
trigger X-10 transmitters simply because because unplugging and replugging
certain modules puts lots of BSC's on the powerline, at least according to
the Monterey.  Something's causing people to post here, week after week,
that they are seeing phantom activations, or more popularly, phantom
activity log entries.

> I have no idea whether it's possible to hack the Monterey - $300 is a
little
> too dear for experimenting.

It's hideously hard to try and map out even a single command on the Monterey
because of the tiny readout.

> It would be better to start from scratch and design an
> inexpensive circuit that would output via RS232 or USB.
> That's still on my list but I may never get to it.

Well, here's to your good health and the hope that you'll eventually get
around to it.  A marriage of the Lynx's ability to show each frame and bit,
the Monterey's ability to read the voltage of each bit and Activehome's
logging ability would be sweet.

--
Bobby G.