Re: Caller ID through 12 volt interrupt on whole house audio

In article <1122243073.935193.216530@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
	"Greg" <greginsarver@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>I have a Russound CAV6.6 whole house audio system which supports 12
>volt interrupt input which will mute any existing audio source and play
>some sound over all speakers (for example, tehy have a doorbell module
>which mutes everything, regardless of which source you have on, and
>plays the doorbell sound).
>
>What I am looking for is a way to have caller id numbers or names
>spoken over the house speakers and have it done with the 12 volt
>interrupt (so that I can have any source on and the caller ID will
>still come on).
>
>I looked for a pre-made module to do this and don't see anything.  I
>have caller id software on a server that supports text-to-speech (which
>is also a source for the Russound system) but don't know how to make
>this go through the 12v interrupt (if I make the caller id a source on
>the Russound system, I would have to have that source chosen to hear
>it).

There are a number of sound triggered relay circuits and kits
around. Split the feed from the text-to-speech output, and also
feed it into one of those. Use the relay output to provide a 12V
interrupt. You might have a problem with the relay not switching
in time to hear the first syllable -- I don't know how configurable
your text-to-speech software is, but perhaps you could add some
sort of pre-announcement sound, like a gong triad used on some
station announcements, or even a short sample of phone bell?

--
Andrew Gabriel