ALC Still Viable?

I too am getting ready to build a house.  I am considering pre-wiring
the house to support ALC but, now I am having second thoughts.  I want
a DIY lighting system that I incrementally add/move/change as I see
fit.   Originally, planned on implementing a hybrid lighting system of
ALC and X10.  Currently, I am considering ALC and UPB.  Now, I am
having second thoughts about ALC.

I don't hear much chatter about ALC in this group.  HAI is pushing
their HLC/UPB.  Most HA controllers support ALC but none seem to
push/promote it.  Is OnQ still developing new ALC components and
features?

 Will ALC still be a viable lighting solution in the next couple of
years?

Is ALC that much better than UPB (speed & reliability) to justify the
added cost & complexity (cabling)?

What am I missing?

Regards,
Scott