Re: ALC Still Viable?

ALC is still a good option.  I think most installers and more specifically
the homeowners paying the installers look at the cost and complexity of
installation as a deterrant.

IMHO, with the reliability of UPB, the only time I would consider ALC over
UPB is in high density situations like a condo building with a lot of
lighting automation planned from the begining.

ALC is a great reliable product.  Pretty much as long as the wires are in
tact it will work.  It is very fast, in my assumption a little faster than
UPB.  The advantage of UPB is that it is supported by several manufacturers.
If OnQ decides to stop making the ALC switch, there is no one else making
them, and you are out of luck.  UPB has a larger variation and styles
available. The last new ALC product I have heard about was several years ago
when they introduced the branch hub, which made ALC installs a little
easier, and the smooth face button.  Otherwise I have not heard of any new
development.

If I were building a home, cost no option I would still use UPB.

--
Brett Griffin, Technology Consultant
Architechtronics, Inc.

*Home of "fidoh" for HAI/OnQ/Aegis