Re: Suggestions for X10/Automation Widgets

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 15:08:52 GMT, "Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote in
message  <8MAof.161484$qk4.54908@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>I'm looking for suggestions for some needed X10 or other automation widgets.
>I have done microcontroller design since the mid 70's.  Now retired, I'm
>looking for projects to keep me busy.  Two ideas I have myself are a X10
>module offering 4 to 8 digital I/O lines, and a high power version of the
>TW523 / PSC05 - perhaps for 2-phase 240V.
>

>What are the needs of the automation community?  How much would you be
>willing to pay for a kit or finished product?  You can e-mail me directly if
>you want to keep your answers private.

I no longer invest in *any* device that depends on X-10's powerline
transmission. X-10 is undependable in the vast majority of actual
installations.

So the market would appear to be in transitioning folks _away_ from x-10.

Time for my periodic suggestion ?

" As I've posted in comp.home.automation before, in my opinion what is needed
is a multi-headed device that can input an X10 signal (either TW523/TTL-level
or CM11a/RS-232) and output said X-10 dialect  *and* one or more additional
protocols.

[...]

A hydra-headed device would accept the input of choice and allow routing of
different addresses to different output devices by reference to a routing table
sent to the device. This would add DMX512, UPB, Zigbee, UPB, whatever
capability to an existing system using software already installed without
disrupting existing use of X-10 (or other primary signal/protocol)."

The key here is to preserve the value of existing installations -- especially
the programming/code/rules/software -- while allowing migration from X-10 to
more reliable, forward-looking technologies.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org