Re: 2 100amp panel coupler help needed

In article <1134442803.124382.210580@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, carlford@xxxxxxx (carlford) writes:

|                            6201              Bridging Capacitor
|                              |                        |
| incoming-----+------Panel A----- Sub Panel A   (Within 6 feet of panel
| A)
|                    |      (breakers)      (breakers)
|                    |
|                    |
|                    +-----Panel B-------- Sub Panel B   (3 stories up)
|                           (breakers)         (breakers)
|                               |                        |
|                            Capacitor          Capacitor

You need to be careful mixing passive coupling and repeaters.  Although
I've traced only the CR230's circuit, I believe that most repeaters drive
the two legs with carriers 180 degrees out of phase (presumably for the
benefit of 220V-only receivers).  Thus any passive coupling that doesn't
flip the phase works against the repeater.  Based on the cautions I've read
I think that the 4851 also couples without flipping the phase, though this
was not immediately obvious on casual inspection.

I'm puzzled that you see a significant difference when moving the repeater
from panel A to panel B if the 4851s are out of the picture.  Taking this
at face value (always risky :) you might want to try a CR234 on one panel
(whichever hears the house best) connected by its SCC terminals to a CA000
on the other panel.  The CA000 is a dumb output driver.  The two problems
are (1) I don't know who actually sells the CA000 at this point and (2)
I assume Phil Kingery would have mentioned this idea to you if he thought
it was appropriate.

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@danlan.*com