Re: New paradigm for home heating automation and control

Why not just rule out the cost side and pay for it up front with today's
dollars and not tomorrows.

Many live well on alternative energy.  Solar with home automation is a great
way to go.  Many states have subsidies to help defray the costs.  If you
plan to live in your home for more than 6-8 years, it will pay for itself.

The best setup I have seen is a zero energy home.  It produces more energy
during the day and the meter spins backwards, at night you use more than you
generate, so it spins forward.  Ideally at the end of the month the end
result is zero change.  I have seen some home make money from the electric
company. Works better in Florida than Fairbanks in the winter, but even in
Seattle it is a viable source.  My mother lives this way 1 hour outside of
Seattle.

Pair this with a well programmed home automation system, florescent lights
and a electric based heating system and you are doing well.  In addition get
a 30 gallon tank for the roof, with a on demand heater for back up and your
covered, conserving all around.

But there is that pesky price tag up front....

--
Brett Griffin, Co-Founder
Architechtronics

*Home of "fidoh" for HAI/OnQ/Aegis