Re: New paradigm for home heating automation and control

Marc F Hult wrote:
> For example, leaving lights turned on 24x7 and the fridge door open both
> have the potential of _reducing_ my total bill from my utility during the
> heating season.

Leaving the fridge door open does what? Causes the compressor to
run constantly and food to spoil? You are using the compressor to
generate heat, colder on the shelf side of the fridge, hotter
on the back and top.  A big toaster does it better
and doesn't have expensive parts to wear out.

Leaving the lights on is exactly the same as running a
resistance heater or as the heat pump folks call it
"emergency heat". Except that the light bulbs burn out
and all the lights help keep you up at night and fade
colors.

Use a well to provide heat to your heat pump year round.
Well established technology.

Assuming you can tolerate the luke warm air that a heat
pump puts out.

On topic, zoning is probably a useful area for home automation.

--
Pat