New paradigm for home heating automation and control

In considering how to replace a furnace diagnosed with a cracked (thus
dangerous) heat exchanger last week, I discovered that this month, by my
calculations, and in my case, the cost of incremental electrical energy for
home heating ( $0.0506 per kWh) fell below the cost for heating by natural
gas($1.52 per 100 cubic feet ~ $1.48 per therm).

http://www.cinergyulhp.com/pdfs/Rate_RS_gas.pdf
http://www.cinergyulhp.com/pdfs/Rate_RS.pdf

Even assuming an extremely efficient furnace/boiler with an Annual Fuel
Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) of 96%, and an efficiency of 99% for electrical
resistance heating, 1 million net BTUs of heat cost me $15.42 (gas) and $14.98
(resistance electrical). (The electrical power used by the blower is the same
in each case.)

Using electricity to power an air-source heat pump during periods when outside
air temperature is appropriate cuts the cost in half ($7.44).

This should give folks interested in home automation and control pause for
thought. (Environmental considerations add yet another dimension to ponder.)

For example, leaving lights turned on 24x7 and the fridge door open both have
the potential of _reducing_ my total bill from my utility during the heating
season.

And the additional cost of a gas burner compared to a electrical resistance
heating element is _never_ amortized by the lower price of gas.

And so on.

Lotsa balls in the air at the same time.

... Marc (still lookin for the 'rithmetic mistake ...)
Marc_F_Hult
www.EControl.org