Re: Wireless network hassles

> Move the router higher up, say to a top shelf on a tall bookcase.  I found
> that once above the height of an average person, the intermittent
> connections decreased markedly.  YMMV

Bear in mind that most 802.11 device antennae produce a pattern that does
not favor vertical.  The spread tends to be no more than about 10 feet
vertically.  So if you're expecting to cover more than one floor it often
helps to have the device higher/lower to better suit the 'other' floor.

I've also found that 802.11g devices tend to work better in older
construction than 802.11b.  Probably an unscientific observation but no
amount of added antennae made our 802.11b router work anywhere near as
reliably as a replacement 802.11g unit.  Regardless of card in the PC.

We went so far as to find the ideal place for the wireless router and then
ran wired ethernet there to support it.  Turned out to be a 1st floor window
near the 'L' of the 2 story house.  That provided effective coverage to both
the mainly underground 1st floor along with coverage to the outside rear
patio and the 2nd floor.

Your situation might entail using a rather long ethernet cable and a signal
strength indicator program on the PC.  Move the base station around until
the signal covers the needed areas effectively and then run wire to that
location.  This would likewise be true, placement-wise, for any wifi
booster/repeater devices.  I've had mixed success with them.

-Bill Kearney