Re: Wireless network hassles

  Stucco implies a fine wire mesh - a problem for high
frequency wireless signals.  Dells can be so useful here.
Dell provides a signal strength monitor program that reports
dB of signal strength - none of the ballpark and not
informative '5 bars' stuff.  How the antenna is oriented on a
wireless router can make a difference.  For example, a metal
frame of an adjacent chair can substantially reduce signal
strength.  But again, another reason why a true signal
strength meter (software) is so useful for solving signal
strength problems.

  If using the wireless in secure mode, S/N ratio must be
higher to maintain a connection.  IOW test the system in
insecure (open) mode (no WEP, etc).  If this improves a
connection, then suspect too little S/N.  Of course orient the
antenna to maximize field strength in her direction while
testing.

  Simplest solution is a hardwire connection to her system or
a second wireless unit located on her side of the house.
Experience dictates that a few hardwired ethernet ports in
various parts of a building make wireless changes and
corrections painless, flexible, and therefore more reliable.