Wireless network hassles

We recently moved to a new (for us) home.  I have a Belkin wireless
router connected to a DSL modem in my office at one end of the house.
My wife's desktop is at the opposite end of the home, about 120 feet
away and through three walls, one of which is cement block.

Her PC connects to the wireless LAN for a while then cuts out.  This
happens at random with no apparent pattern.  The home is typical
Florida construction -- drywall over firring over cement block, wrapped
in stucco.  Inside walls are ordinary wood frame, but there's a
fireplace directly in the path between the router and the problem PC.

I don't mind buying a new RF access point or adding better antennas
(there are three of them on the Belkin).  The attic is tall enough to
walk around but unfortunately there's no connection between the space
above the main house and my wife's office, which was originally the
"bonus room" by the pool.  Any suggestions?

Regards,
Robert L Bass
www.BassBurglarAlarms.com