Re: Automated front door lock?

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 19:08:39 GMT, Keith <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<Xns96A59A269813DKeithBC4ReaderTokenI@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>One additional thought- the ability to store usage information (did the
>repairperson come and leave when they were supposed to, did someone who has
>their own code (babysitter) come over/enter on a day that they weren't
>supposed to while no-one was home, stuff like that would be nice, but not
>critical to a purchase decision.
>

>Keith <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> sagely wrote in
>
>> Newbie here-
>>
>> I need to replace my front door lock/deadbolt combo, and was thinking
>> it would be nice to put in something with a keypad where I could
>> program several codes with different expirations (for repairmen, meter
>> readers, etc.)
>>
>> Before I just go buy whatever is at the store, I thought I'd check and
>> see if anyone knows of a model with one additional function- it would
>> be great if one had a proximity sensor (RFID key fob or something)
>> where the door would automatically unlock if I got within, say, 3-5
>> feet of it. That way I could be carrying an armload of groceries and
>> not have to fumble for my keys.
>>
>> Where should I be looking for this, if such an animal even exists?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Keith

Keith,

Key word for you to know is  "Weigand" (the name used for an
industry-standard,  electronic/electronic  security  protocol).

Google on " Wiegand" or "Wiegand rfid home automation"  to get information
on door units that respond to that standardized protocol and rfid.

These devices are often used in commercial situations and tend to be pricey.
 Elk products www.elkproducts.com had an attractively priced I-button add-on
for their Magic Module series, but no RFID last I knew. Used with
appropriate HA software, it can tell you which fob ('who') was used  where
and when. The I-button needs to be within an inch or so, not feet..

HTH ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult