Re: Automated front door lock?

In article <Xns96A58FBCD269DKeithBC4ReaderTokenI@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
	Keith <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Newbie here-
>
> I need to replace my front door lock/deadbolt combo, and was thinking it
> would be nice to put in something with a keypad where I could program
> several codes with different expirations (for repairmen, meter readers,
> etc.)

I've thought about this for a while.
One significant problem you might have is satisfying your
insurance company that whatever scheme you have come up with
is actually secure. There are two sides to this. The first is
the physical door locking mechanism -- those which come anywhere
near as robust as a standard door lock/bolt are horrendously
expensive. The second is the security of the software and
electronics side of things. If a burglar enters your house
through the door, I could imagine severe problems getting any
insurance company to pay out.

--
Andrew Gabriel