Re: Automated front door lock?

"Keith" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:Xns96A58FBCD269DKeithBC4ReaderTokenI@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Newbie here-
>
> I need to replace my front door lock/deadbolt combo, and was thinking it
> would be nice to put in something with a keypad where I could program
> several codes with different expirations (for repairmen, meter readers,
> etc.)
>
> Before I just go buy whatever is at the store, I thought I'd check and see
> if anyone knows of a model with one additional function- it would be great
> if one had a proximity sensor (RFID key fob or something) where the door
> would automatically unlock if I got within, say, 3-5 feet of it. That way
> could be carrying an armload of groceries and not have to fumble for my
> keys.
>
> Where should I be looking for this, if such an animal even exists?
>
> Thanks,
> Keith

Hi Keith.

You're now entering the world of "access control", particularly if you want
to "track" individuals as by code or even control when their code is active
(for instance, the maid's code would only work between 1200 hrs and 1600
hours on Wednesdays).  I responded to a very similar question in a post
entitled "Entrance Keypads".  I'd suggest you have a look at the ELK M-1
Gold panel.  Yes, it looks "expensive" but if you "dig a little deeper" and
realize you're also getting a powerful user-friendly Home Automation
Controller *and* a top notch security system there really is no other
option...  "Do it right the first time!"

Good luck!!!