Re: Automated front door lock?

> I've thought about this for a while.
> One significant problem you might have is satisfying your
> insurance company that whatever scheme you have come up with
> is actually secure.

Hi Andrew,

Unless your insurance policy specifically mandates otherwise (and
most do not) you are not even required to lock your door to be
able to collect.  The fact is a significant percentage of home
burglaries do not involve breaking -- just illegal entry.  The
thief tries a bunch of doors until he finds one that isn't
locked, walks in and grabs whatever he can.  Insurers regularly
pay out on claims which arise from this type of crime.

> There are two sides to this. The first is the physical door
> locking mechanism -- those which come anywhere near
> as robust as a standard door lock/bolt are horrendously
> expensive...

That's true.  Most of the electronic door locks that are worth
anything at all cost several hundred dollars.  Napco Security's
Alarm Lock division makes some pretty decent ones.  I sell one or
two every so often but their price keeps them out of the
mainstream.  Securtron makes a SABL (stands for "Stand Alone
Battery Lock") series that's likewise robust and just as spendy.

> The second is the security of the software and electronics
> side of things. If a burglar enters your house through the
> door, I could imagine severe problems getting any
> insurance company to pay out.

That sounds reasonable on the surface but it's really not
correct.  Insurance is for when things go wrong, including failed
hardware or software.  If the insurers could get out of paying
every time an alarm company failed to notify the police or fire
department in time to catch the thief or save the house they'd
almost never have to pay a claim.

Regards,
Robert L Bass
http://www.bassburglaralarms.com/categtype_34.htm